The Black Rock Sanctuary is situated along the Schuylkill River in Chester County, Pennsylvania. It consists of approximately 120 acres of woodlands, wetlands and meadows. The Sanctuary offers the public accessible interpretive trails with historic and environmental educational stations. The public is able to learn and experience history, geology, wildlife, plant life and ecological habitats. It offers recreational opportunities such as hiking, biking, fishing and boating.
Proposed Improvements Include:
- Add trailhead providing access to the PICTA (Phoenixville Iron and Central Trails Association) with access to/from Black Rock Road (PA Route 113)
- Add 2 canoe/kayak portage ramps at the Southern end of the Sanctuary adjacent to the Schyulkill River
- Paved parking area with 29 ADA compliant spaces
- Drop off area for two vehicles with canoe/kayak trailers
- Two retaining walls
- Picnic area
- Short trail segments
- An information kiosk and two (2) benches are proposed in proximity of an existing bridge that goes to the Schuylkill River.