The Phoenixville Greenway is an ambitious plan started in 1986 to create a ten (10) miles of linear park along the Schuylkill River and French Creek in Phoenixville. This effort is part of the larger river preservation project spearheaded by the Schuylkill River Greenway Association (SRGA) to restore and preserve the river as a sustainable watershed. The Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) is the spline of the Phoenixville Greenway providing the connection to a regional trail system connecting Pottsville to Philadelphia and the greater trail system, The Circuit. Phoenixville will soon be connected to the Chester Valley Trail by way of the conversion of the Devault Line in a rails to trails project being led by Charlestown Township. See Map Trail
Phoenixville Greenway Development Map – 1986
The Phoenixville Greenway Team is the legacy mission of the Phoenix Iron Canal and Trails Association (PICTA). PICTA was formed in 1989 and merged with the Green Team in 2015. The advocacy of the Greenway in Phoenixville continues today. The Greenway Team is working to protect the waterways, complete the trail system, and assure the redevelopment of the town include sustainable solutions to connecting neighborhoods, quality open space and transportation infrastructure.
The Greenway Team is working to advocate the planning and construction of following projects by educating the public, local government and the landowners / developers how these important links will connect the town, create recreational opportunities and build community.
- Connect the trail at the Riverworks Phoenixville apartment complex to the 119 acre Black Rock Sanctuary through the Canal RR Underpass at French Creek.
- Participate in the planning of French Creek West to assure the Schuylkill River Trail, open space and transportation infrastructure provide the needed public amenities.
- Engage the shareholders to expedite the planning and construction of the 1st Phase of the rails to trails Devault Trail in Phoenixville
- Work to connect the French Creek Trail from the new Paradise Street Bridge planned as part of the French Creek Westdevelopment and the Phoenixville Town Center behind the Giant store.
- Promote the planning and construction of the Black Rock Portage on the Schuylkill River at the Black Rock Dam